Ontario Supporting Two Festivals and Events in Kanata
Funding will help reconnect community and boost Kanata & West Carleton’s economy
Kanata – Ontario is investing more than $48 million to help festival and event organizers carry out innovative and safe experiences that help create great Ontario staycation experiences for visitors and stimulate local economic growth. Two local events have received Ontario government grant money of over $300,000.
Merrilee Fullerton, MPP for Kanata—Carleton announced today that the following local events are receiving funding support:
- $185,000 for Dino Discovery
- $123,173 Play On! Street Festival Ottawa
The grants are funded through the provincial government’s Reconnect Ontario Program.
“Our government recognizes the important contributions that festivals and events make to local communities,” said Merrilee Fullerton, MPP for Kanata—Carleton. “I am pleased that we are supporting event organizers who are creating fun experiences in our community to help reconnect people. These events also boost economic activity and create local jobs.”
“For nearly two years, the pandemic has disproportionately impacted tourism and culture – two major industries that bring our communities to life, and Ontarians together,” said Neil Lumsden, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport. “By supporting festivals and events through the Reconnect Ontario program, our government is delivering a much-needed boost to the sector as we continue to recover from the effects of COVID-19. We are supporting organizations across the province that are finding new, innovative ways to safely recon reconnect Ontarians – helping them to engage with their communities and creating local jobs.”
Reconnect Ontario is granting $42.9 million in 2022 to support 547 festivals and events around the province.
- Tourism is a key economic driver in Ontario, supporting approximately 395,000 jobs and generating over $38 billion in spending.
- This investment is a continuation of the historic one-time COVID recovery funding announced in 2021 that more than doubled the annual funding usually provided to festivals and events.
- In 2021, due to overwhelming demand, the government provided a historic $49 million through the Reconnect Festival and Event Program (now Reconnect Ontario) and the Reconnect Ontario – Marquee Event Fund (fomally Celebrate Ontario Blockbuster).